Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Return of Rent?


Last Friday, I found this article claiming that one of the most famous musicals of our time, RENT, could be having a revival off-Broadway.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/RIALTO_CHATTER_RENT_Headed_Back_to_New_York_20101105

And the moment I saw the article, even if it is just from a theatre gossip column, all I could think was, it's too soon.

It wasn't too long ago that this show closed on Broadway. It's only been a few years at the most, and for the die-hard fans who still want to be able to see a live performance of it, it's certainly not impossible. Ever since the rights came out for the show to be performed in community theatres, it seems like every single one out there is taking it on. The majority of community theatres in my area have either done it or are planning on doing it, including the one I volunteer at.

Another thing - I don't think RENT is as great a show as it's cracked up to be. Even when I was doing tech on the show, and I was having an awesome time because of the great cast, techies, and the amazing reactions from the audiences, I thought this. Parts of the plot just don't make sense (I'm supposed to believe Roger and Mimi fell in love, broke up, and the fell in love again in just a week?) and the message that artists can do whatever they want is pathetic, especially when a lot of fans I've seen actually take that message to heart. I found myself on Benny's side while watching the show from backstage - he just wants his long overdue rent! Is that too much to ask? I will admit that I like a lot of the songs, but that's about it.

I know that RENT has a huge following of fans, and tickets for a revival of it, even if it's off-Broadway, would probably sell well, but it's too early for this show to come back, and not to mention, it's not very good and makes people in the creative arts look like lazy bums. Call me what you will, but we don't need another over-hyped show like this one.

1 comment:

  1. I am a RENT fan and was sad when it closed on Broadway but I agree with you 110% its WAY too soon for a revival. I think it would be a good idea if it was revived in maybe 2 or 3 yrs not now.

    ReplyDelete