Sunday, November 21, 2010

Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert


Wednesday night, I took a trip to the local movie theatre to see the Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert. Les Miz has always had a special place in my heart. It was one of the first musicals I ever discovered, and while I think the story could be fledged out a bit more and the characters are flat for the most part, I've always loved the music, so I know I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see this. And I'm so glad that I decided to go - it was amazing.

Almost all the performers were wonderful. Lea Salogna played Fantine perfectly. Her facial expressions and on-cue crying added to all those emotional moments that the character has to go through. Ramin Karmiloo shined as Enjolras, and Matt Lucas made a hilarious Thenardier. I also loved Jamie Davies as Gavroche. He made the character so cunning, cute, and interesting all at the same time. He's definitely one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite Gavroche I've ever seen or heard.

The new orchestrations enhanced the score, making it more lush and beautiful than ever. Hearing it in surround sound made the experience even better. There were also some 'bonus songs' at the end of the concert, including a quartet of Valjeans from the different productions over the years singing "Bring Him Home". It was so amazing, so breathtaking, that words can't describe it.

There was one problem I had with the concert, though, and that was Nick Jonas as Marius. He seemed very weak next to all the other performers. It was as though they had a bunch of professionally trained, experienced actors, and then he was just thrown into the mix. His singing was alright, but his acting was laughable. I actually had to stop myself from laughing at how bad he was at some points, especially at the part where he first meets Cosette. Not to mention, he also brought in loads of fangirls who wouldn't stop giggling and freaking out over him during the whole thing. But I will admit, Cameron Macintosh was smart with this decision. Sure, Nick wasn't very good, but he did bring a new audience to Les Miserables who may not have been interested in the musical beforehand.

If you didn't get a chance to see the concert in person or in theatres, rent or buy a copy of it as soon as it comes out on DVD. You'll be in for a three-hour-long musical treat.

-Marina

2 comments:

  1. When does it come out on dvd? I will def put it in my netflix queue

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Janine I'm not sure of the exact date, but it's sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete