Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Wicked Miniseries


If you're into theatre, chances are you've heard of Wicked, a smash-hit musical that tells the story of the Wicked Witch of the West and expands on The Wizard of Oz. For awhile, there have been abundant rumors about a movie version of the show, but there has never been any official announcement that it's in the works. But maybe the news that a Wicked miniseries is in development will appease fans.

This week, ABC announced that they would be airing an 8-hour miniseries based on the book which the musical is adapted from. I haven't actually read it, but I've heard it's good, even if it is very different and much darker than the musical adaptation we've all come to know. 

I'm actually looking forward to watching this miniseries, even if I'm not a huge fan of Wicked. I saw it a few years ago when it first came to Boston, and while I'll admit it's a good show, its splendor wore off on me after a while. I still take a listen to the cast album every so often, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but it just isn't one of my favorite shows. I'm interested to see how the book and musical are different, though, and just where ABC will take the story.

The miniseries won't air for at least another year, but still, I'm eager to see how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. I have read the book Wicked and it's quite good. You should definitley read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to for awhile. I probably won't be able to for awhile, though, since the current production I'm in is taking up a lot of my time (but it's so much fun).

    ReplyDelete